Sunday, April 9, 2017

Pancakes and Burritos



Today was another step in fundraising and team building.   This was the second Sunday that the youth group cooked and sold breakfast as part of their fund raising.  I was asked to be a Kitchen Supervisor for this event.  My automatic response was "I'm not really your kitchen person" but Greg didn't miss a beat and sent me the list of things to do.  I admit I was a little nervous and unsure what I was getting in to. 

 I arrived at 9:45 for the 2nd shift.  Myself and another supervisor, Rebecca, started assembling burritos with the ingredients that 1st shift had already prepared.  

A few minutes later the youth filed in and went to work. There was really no "supervision" needed.  They all took their places..some at the grill cooking pancakes, some started cracking eggs, and others joined the burrito assembly line.  There were people collecting money and filling orders from the large warmer that was set up in the cafe'.  It was a well oiled machine. 

As I was helping fill the burritos, Emily the expert burrito roller, looked at me and sweetly asked, is that a special order? I looked down and laughed "Well NO!!"....I had forgotten the tortilla shell and had placed the eggs directly on the tin foil!!!  She was so gracious to me and replied "It's OK, just laugh it off.  That's what we do!"  
Pancake flippers, Caroline and Samantha


Sweet Emily
As I watched the girls continue to assemble the burritos I mentioned to them that while we are there, we will get to learn how to actually make tortillas!!  I am already thinking ahead to how much they will love the hogar and the girls that live there.  

Dylan and Caleb
Just observing the team work together today, listening to their laughter, and even receiving their hugs, I was reminded how blessed I am to be a part of what God is doing. I am eager to see what he has in store for us...each step of the way.
Pancake tester, Mikey

No comments:

Post a Comment

100lbs of Love

   I have to start this blog entry by saying thank you, thank you.... THANK YOU !!  I am so overwhelmed by the support I have ...